Heal the Root Chakra and Adrenal Fatigue
Do you feel like you live with constant anxiety? Does your heart race without exercise? Does your lower backache? Do you wake several times each night? Do you urinate frequently? Do you have abdominal weight? Do you crave salt and sugar? Are you constantly tired? Do you often feel like your emotions are out of balance? These are the classic symptoms of an adrenal imbalance.
Your adrenals are two tiny glands that sit on top of your kidneys. They help to regulate sodium and potassium, they assist you in feeling energized in the morning and ready for bed in the evening. They contribute to blood sugar regulation, fluid retention, metabolism and your immune system. When your adrenal glands are imbalanced it is difficult to shut your brain off, your stress will seem inordinately high, and colds, infections, and cases of flu can occur more often.
An adrenal gland imbalance is unfortunately very common. Most people who come into my practice are dealing with some level of adrenal fatigue where their cortisol (the hormone that the adrenal glands put out) is irregular and is causing ebbs and flows in their energy level.
SO WHAT CAUSES THIS IMBALANCE?
Anything that causes inflammation in the body will drain the adrenal glands. This can be a food allergy, bacteria, parasite, heavy metal, or an actual injury that the body is dealing with. So detoxification may be appropriate to heal this, or there may be another cause, like a deficiency. There are several vitamin and mineral deficiencies that can cause the adrenals to function sub-optimally. These are Vitamin C, B, D, E as well as low Potassium and Sodium and Magnesium. Oftentimes people will supplement with herbs for the adrenals such as Licorice, Ashwagandha, Ginseng, Rhodiola and Maca-to name a few.
It is also very important to address issues with the digestive system when working with the adrenal glands, as often times adrenal issues can originate from this area of the body. Supplementing with probiotics, slippery elm, colostrum, aloe and digestive enzymes can also be helpful. I am a firm believer in supplementing with products that are appropriate for your body, so seek out a health professional to help you to find the right combination for you.
SO HOW DOES ALL OF THIS RELATE TO THE ROOT CHAKRA?
Chakras are energy centers located throughout the body. They control our physical and emotional health. Your Root Chakra is your first chakra and it is located at the base of the spine. From an emotional perspective, it regulates feelings of balance, security, safety, financial stability, and emotions related to fear, and change.
When the Root is imbalanced life feels more stressful and less grounded, change is feared and money seems scarce. People who are dealing with an imbalance in this area may also feel like a victim. From a physical point of view, the Root controls the adrenal glands, kidney and the bladder. Eating disorders may also be a sign of a Root Chakra imbalance.
SO WHAT CAN YOU DO TO BALANCE THIS CHAKRA?
Find ways to ground yourself:
- Walk barefoot in the grass or on the sand.
- Listen to calming music.
- Meditate-maybe not even in the “traditional way” but adopt an activity that forces you to be present-even coloring can provide this!
- Wear the color red as this is the color that strengthens this chakra.
- Eat grounding foods from the earth like potatoes, parsnips, and carrots as well as red foods like beets, berries, and protein-based meats.
- Journal your feelings and find a healthy outlet for them.
- Use flower essences and essential oils to balance your emotions and try Tai Chi and Yoga to feel more grounded. You can also use crystals as part of your healing protocol. The stones that correspond to this chakra are Jasper, Garnet, Black Tourmaline, and Bloodstone. It is also important to see a practitioner to assist you in balancing your adrenal hormones.